Former South African President and anti-apartheid hero, Nelson Mandela has reportedly returned to his home in Johannesburg after a long stay in hospital in Pretoria.
The BBC online says the 95-year-old had recovered well enough from an infection to leave the hospital where he has been for three months to return to his home to be cared for by his family.
He had been admitted with a recurring lung infection on June 8.
His condition was last week described as “critical but stable”, and there has been no official update on his health since then.
There has not yet been other confirmation of Mandela’s discharge.
CNN and Sky News have also reported Mandela’s release. CNN says two sources close to Mandela had confirmed his release, while Sky says his daughter has confirmed the report. But South African president Jacob Zuma says the reports are incorrect.
“Madiba is still in hospital in Pretoria, and remains in a critical but stable condition. At times his condition becomes unstable, but he responds to medical interventions,” the presidency said in a statement on its website.